Exercise Bikes or Stationary BikesBicycling has been around for centuries, and is still going strong! Don't let poor weather slow you down, simply cycle within the comfort and safety of your home with a stationary bike. Stationary bicycles are a safe and effective means of exercise. They provide a means of low-impact cardiovascular exercise, are generally quiet in operation, and are efficient with their use of space.
Low impact and effective, using a stationary bike is a great way to burn fat and get your heart pumping, but with much less impact on your knees, hips and other joints than walking or running. Stationary bikes are affordable,and can be used in the comfort of your home . Most stationary bikes have manual or computerized controls to allow you to adjust resistance and speed. Many also come with heart monitors and cardio workouts already programmed in.
Plus, with a stationary bike, you don't have to worry about traffic, dogs, or bad weather. You can exercise in the convenience of your own home and even watch television or read a book while you bike. Try doing that on the bike path at the park!Stationary bikes are safe and they provide an effective form of aerobic exercise. Biking strengthens lower body muscles, including the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles. In addition, you can boost the exercise's intensity by increasing the pedaling resistance.
Many stationary bikes include electronic workout programs that simulate hill climbing, interval training and speed work, along with keeping track of time, distance and calories used. Because biking is low impact, there is less trauma to muscles and joints. Still, you are not working the whole body when exercising on a stationary bike, says the American College of Sports Medicine, or ACSM.
Benefits of riding a stationary bike
- Easy to use. Can be used with little or not preparation. You can boost the intensity by simply increasing pedaling resistance.
- Convenient to use. You don't have to worry about traffic, dogs, or bad weather on a stationary bike.
- Can be used in the comfort of your own home, in your own convenience.
- Due to its non-weight bearing properties, it is ideal for people not used to exercising, very overweight people or older individuals.
- Low injury risk to knees and ankles, and less trauma to muscles and joints. Can be used by the entire family or household. Cost effective.
- Other activities such as reading a book or watching TV can be done during a workout.
- Easy to develop a rhythmic pace for better fat burning
- Helps develop leg strength and lower body muscles including the quadriceps, hamstrings, and calf muscles.
- More affordable than other exercise machines and generally less bulky than other machines.
- The overall health benefits of a regular exercise is undeniable.
Overview of Exericse BikesAll types of stationary bikes provide a low impact workout that many feel is an advantage over treadmill exercise. The force on the knees, ankles, feet and other body parts that occurs with walking or running can cause swelling or discomfort in the joints. It can irritate old injuries or sometimes even produce new problems. Some people are unable to perform weight-bearing exercise due to joint pain or in some cases, obesity.
Exercises that require loading the body, such as walking, jogging, or stairclimbing have proven to be stressful for some. However, there are alternative, non weight-bearing exercises that provide the opportunity to work aerobically without the stress on the joints.
A stationary bike provides non-weight bearing exercise that reduces impact on these areas. Consumer buying shows that exercise bikes continue to rank as a top choice for exercise and fitness training.
A stationary bike is an old standard that has been a proven exercise tool for years, and that continues to improve and adapt through new technology. The overall effectiveness, ease of use and variety of designs and prices makes a stationary exercise bike an excellent choice for beginners and advanced enthusiasts alike.